Friday, July 11, 2014

Not my circus, not my monkeys...

I've seen this all over facebook recently and it's made me think a bit about my own world.  As many know, my dad and I don't exactly get along...never close and as opposite as people can be.  To say he lives in his own little world is an understatement and it has caused much strife between the two of us.

My mom's death has put a spotlight on just how different we are and how far apart we've become.  I try.  I really do but honestly? I don't have the patience for him.  His viewpoints couldn't be further from my own and we need to agree to disagree.

Not my circus, not my monkeys...interesting statement.  Not sure it really is a Polish proverb but for whatever reason, it resonates with me.  I am not responsible for my father.  He's not my monkey and his views aren't my circus.  He's my dad.  I'll enjoy what I can of our interactions and when they become heated, I can step away.  I cannot be responsible for his attitude, his actions or his words, just mine.  I realize it seems a simple premise and one that should come about without much thought but it took me awhile to get here.

He won't change (and at 72, I can't really expect him to) but I can change how I deal with him and how our interactions affect me. Maybe this will help us, maybe it won't.  However, I can sleep each night knowing that i tried and at this time, that's the best I can do.

Not my circus, not my monkeys...

No comments:

Post a Comment