Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Death and dying...

As many of you know, 2014 has been a year of death for my family and for many of our friends.  I cannot remember ever attending so many funerals in such a short time.

I lost my sweet mama in January after a 6 week illness.  The shock of someone being gone that you are so used to communicating with daily is just so painful to deal with.  We had lunch each week (usually followed by a trip to Real Deals, a local store).  I spoke to her daily.  My three children were lucky to have her as their Mimi...she took the role very seriously.  No matter what they did, she cheered them on and thought they were wonderful.  Every child should be so lucky to have a Mimi like that.  My heart aches not only for myself, but especially for my children.  The absence of that person in your life who thought you could do no wrong...I am so sad for them.

Emma was the first grandchild.  When she came along, my mom decided to quit smoking.  She enjoyed spoiling and loving her.  Brennan came along 2 1/2 years later and was colicky.  Sensing that he needed a different child care environment, my mom quit her job and became our full-time sitter.  This only strengthened the bond that she had with these 2.

My mom never went to college...her pride at both Emma's and Brennan's academic accomplishments in that area made her glow!  She loved learning new things through them.  A religious woman, she never once questioned when B decided he was an atheist.  I know that this had to be hard on her...but she supported him and spoke to him about it.  And we can't even begin to imagine her joy as E was accepted into OSU's French PhD program...

Grace came along shortly before my mom was diagnosed with lung cancer.  The first few years of her life, my mom was extremely ill.  We didn't know many times if she'd survive.  So odd was her reaction every time Grace was near...she was calmer and more content.  I often think that Grace was born to help my mom through that extremely difficult time.  We were blessed to spend another 14 years with my mom that no one expected.

French fries, noodles, pies...she loved to cook and share her creations.  We were lucky in that she taught us how to make so many of the delicious things she produced in her kitchen.  I am so happy to have a cookbook written in her own hand...a treasure!

Even though they no longer have their Mimi on this earth, nor I my mom, I am happy to see her parts of her in them each day.  May all of those close to us who have lost someone this year be able to see that person live on in their loved ones as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment