Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Follow your dreams

Troy and I had the pleasure of taking Grace and a couple of her friends to dinner and Franklin Park Conservatory last night.  As we were eating delicious Plank's pizza, the girls were looking around at all the college banners on the walls and discussing their post-high school plans.

It was funny to listen to why they would or wouldn't attend a certain school (money certainly not being a point of contention) and what they would major in.  They had previously been discussing the subjects they dislike in their freshman year of high school.

They all have big plans (most of which involves making lots of money) and big dreams.  I enjoyed listening to their thoughts about where they think their lives will go.  I loved the fact that they were talking about careers that would involve taking some of the very classes they currently dislike!

My oldest two are embarking on this journey in real time.  Emma following her dreams of getting her phD in French and starting a program that teaches young children to speak a foreign language at an earlier age than is offered in public schools.  She seems to have a gift for this language and quickly decided on the double major when she was a freshman.

Brennan is wrapping up his freshman year of college.  No major yet declared.  It has been interesting to talk to him as various professors have tried to sway him to major in their subject of choice.  I am glad he's taking his time to choose...he has varied interests and like Emma, we want him to follow his dreams.  We want them to be self-supporting but also to do something they love.

I remember being that freshman in college.  Trying to decided what I'd do for the rest of my life.  It's a daunting process and one that went through a few changes.  I started as a biology major with thoughts of going to medical school.  My sophomore year, I decided instead to be a nurse. I love taking care of people helping them with their needs and seeing them improve.  I have held the hand of many family members who have had to say goodbye to their loved ones.  And I hope I have helped many to meet death with dignity.

But I have a creative side that nursing doesn't really allow much room for.  I like to write (hence, this blog) and I like to make things.  With the encouragement of my husband and family, I am about to embark on another journey and follow my dreams as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment